Darkness Saves Me Banner

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Interview #30 With Dan Sehn

So I few months back I did an Interview with the creator of Argo 5. Hope you guys enjoy and check out his stuff.

1: What or who got you into comics and why?

Dan Sehn: I have been reading comics before I can remember (or rather looking at them prior to being able to read, lol). I have to imagine my dad bought them for me and saw that I liked them. Watching re-runs of the George Reeves Superman and Adam West Batman TV shows reinforced my interests in the comics.

2: What made you decide to start writing Argo 5?

Dan Sehn: I had been creating my own characters since grade school (those characters became my golden age team the Freedom Troop that appeared in Argo Comics anthology #5). Argo 5 had a few drafts through high school and college (with the characters who got phased out of the team becoming the Paladins who were introduced in Argo Comics Anthology #2). Although I enjoy publishing all these diverse characters, Argo 5 was the concept I was always drawn to write and focus on in their own series.

3: How long has Argo 5 been around?

Dan Sehn: Argo 5 first appeared in the Argo Comics Pin-Up special in 2005 with the Argo Comics Anthology debuting in 2008. Argo 5 #1 was published in 2009.

4: How often does it take you come up with ideas for Argo 5? Do you already have the story mapped out?

Dan Sehn: My focus for Argo 5, and Argo Comics in general,  has always been to come up with quality stories that are different from those in publication elsewhere. Although I have enjoyed a lifelong fandom of comics, I had no desire to tribute my favorite stories or characters. Sometimes driving towards originality can be challenging so ideas are not so easy to come by but as the characters developed, they seem to generate storylines all on their own after a while. Argo 5 issue 20 is our next issue with issue 31 already in production so we are mapped out at least to that point.

5: What is your favorite thing about writing this series?

Dan Sehn: Again, most likely it is in figuring out a cool original concept and executing it. Nothing beats the joy of getting that new issue from the printer though.

6: Do you have a favorite issue that you've written if so which one and why?

Dan Sehn: There is a special place in my heart for issue 1 as I did the art but I enjoyed issue 0 as a way to go back and start the series right with more experience under my belt. Issue 0 is the best introduction for a new reader. Story wise, I can't really choose as I try to diversify the stories so it becomes a bit of an apples and oranges situation at times. Diversifying the themes and genres makes it difficult to give an "elevator pitch" to the series but it keeps the readers on their toes.

7: How many issues of Argo 5 are out?

Dan Sehn: There are 19 issues available.

8: Do you write any other series besides Argo 5?

Dan Sehn: Sorority of Power is up to issue 9 with issue 10 in the lettering phase. The Argo Comics Anthology is a completed 6 issue mini-series giving an introduction to the other heroes of the Argo Comics Universe.

9: Do you plan on writing this series for a good long while?

Dan Sehn: Yes, as stated issue 31 is in production and we are starting up on issue 32.

10: Do you have a favorite character if so who and why?

Dan Sehn: I don't want to use the "choosing between my children" cliche but it is a situation similar to that.

11: What advice could you give to someone who wants to start writing their own comic?

Dan Sehn: I would say to strive for originality. I would not go the route of "It's like Comic A meets Comic B" or having characters that can be describes as "He is my version of Superhero C". Those comics are already out there and people are more likely to buy them rather than yours as they are already established. Pave your own way.

12: If you could date any comic book character who would you date and why?

Dan Sehn: Not sure but it would have to be a heroine rather than a villain. You don't want a team of heroes crashing through the wall of your secret lair.

13: Where can people find you on the internet?

Dan Sehn: The books are available at: http://www.indyplanet.us/brands/argocomics/

Our Facebook page is: https://www.facebook.com/Argo-Comics-284699368210503/?ref=hl

Our website is: http://www.argocomics.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment