Darkness Saves Me Banner

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Interview #35 With C.D. Rudd

Last year I did an Interview with the writer/artist C.D. Rudd hope you guys enjoy and check his stuff out :).

1: What got you into comics?

C.D. Rudd: I used to read comics when I was a kid. Marvel, DC, Archie, Manga (Viz and Tokyopop), Image etc... I wasn't a huge reader, but I read.
What got me into webcomics, though, was an idea I had for a comic. I wanted to make a comic, but lacked the skill to do it well. I use to spend HOURS thinking and plotting and figuring out the comic. Sketching possible characters when I had the chance.

Then one day, I came across a webcomic. I've read professional comics online before. But when I saw a amateur comic, this inspired me to practice making comics, so that one day I could move onto making 'the comic' I've always wanted to make.

2: How'd you come up with the idea for I Dream Of a Jeanie Bottle?

C.D. Rudd: It was really a fluke. I watched a lot of I Dream of Jeannie at one point (I'm a big retro TV fan), and decided to make a comic of some guy getting turned into a genie that looked like the TV genie. I posted it on Deviantart and it was received extremely well. So I drew another... then another... then another.. eventually I decided... well, might as well make this into a webcomic, since I was already up to like 20 or 30 strips by that point.

3: How long has this series been around?

C.D. Rudd: The first Jeanie Bottle comcic went up February 18, 2009 (http://fav.me/d1vi74z)

4: Would you ever want this series to be a tv show or movie? If so why or why not?

C.D. Rudd: I would love to see it go further then just webcomics.

5: How long does it normally take you to write a strip or complete arc for this series?

C.D. Rudd: It varies depending on what's going on, the size and what's in the strip. I usually have a good idea what's going to happen weeks ahead of time, if not earlier. Creating a strip usually takes 3 - 4 hours. Each story usually tends to go 1/4 - 1/2 of a year (remember, it's updated once a week).

6: What is your favorite arc or arcs and why?

C.D. Rudd: Favorite... usually the next one to be made... Why? Cause there is SO much potential to come out of it.
if I had to pick a favorite, it would be the 'I Dream of a B-witch' story. I always wanted to see what Jeannie and Samantha would do if they ever met.

7: Who's your favorite character in this series and why?

C.D. Rudd: That's like asking, "Who's your favorite child?" If I had to pick one right now... I'd say Araceli. I love the way the readers rally behind her at one moment, and then hate her another. She's a lovable character who's good and bad at the same time.

8: What advice could you give to someone who wants to start writing their own webcomic?

C.D. Rudd: I believe you need 2 of 3 things to have a good webcomic. A good story and characters, good art and/or update regularly. To have a great webcomic, you need all three.

Too many webcomicers start off well but then slow down, go on hiatus or just quit before they can build a readership. One thing I wish all webcomicers would do is to conclude a project before stopping it cold.

9: What experiences have you learned from writing this series?

C.D. Rudd: That people are no longer upset when seeing a Genie's naval.

10: What about this series makes it special to you?

C.D. Rudd: It's a unique series that appeals to the younger crowd and the older crowd who remember the classic TV shows.

11: How long is this series going to be around?

C.D. Rudd: Till I get tired of making it. Or till Jeanie get trapped in her bottle. Whichever comes first.

12: If you could date any comic book character who would you date and why?

C.D. Rudd: Anyone? I'd say the English version of Mutsumi Otohime from Love Hina. She's kind, sweet, carrying, (hot) and owns flying turtles... Who wouldn't date her?

13: Where can people find you on the internet?

C.D. Rudd: Between the one and the zero, after the two. (That's a little computer joke.)

No comments:

Post a Comment