Darkness Saves Me Banner

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Interview #21: With Manda Cowled

So last month I think. I interviewed Manda Cowled. She's pretty awesome so after you read the interview check out her stuff :).

1: What got you interested in cosplay?

Manda Cowled: I actually got into cosplay through a combination of friends and Harley Quinn. I had ALWAYS loved Halloween, I intact wore my Simba costume almost everyday when I got home from school. Dressing up was just way too much fun, at one point I even thought about being an actor because I loved it so much. 

My friend Ashe Rogue has also always loved cosplay and she suggested I try and helped me with all my first costumes and many after to help me get into cosplay. She's the reason I started, Harley is the reason I really enjoyed it and it lets me enjoy life a little more than normal every day life.

2: How long have you been doing cosplay?

Manda Cowled: I started cosplaying last August 2013 at Fan Expo.

3: Do you go to a lot of conventions? If so which has been your favorite and why?

Manda Cowled: As I've been cosplaying for less than a year, I've gone to a few, I would say NFCC, Ottawa Comic Con and Fan Expo have been my absolute favourites for the stars and panels, but I also love QMC! It's in my home town and is a ton of fun.

4: Are you a fan of anyone else who cosplays? If so do you have a favorite and who is it and why?

Manda Cowled: I really like the cosplayer Enji Night, I've actually been following her work since before I really understood cosplay. I am also a big fan of Ya Ya Han, she's just so talented.

5: Would you do this for the rest of your life?

Manda Cowled: Yes, I already have family cosplay groups planned out in my head. Scary right! Also I have some old lady cosplays I will one day do.

6: Do you consider yourself to be famous? If not would you love to be famous someday?

Manda Cowled: I'd love to be famous, but no, I have some fans, but I am but a spec in the cosplay universe.

7: Besides cosplay do you do anything else?

Manda Cowled: I like comic books, gaming, love RPGs but haven't played in a while.

8: Have you met any interesting or famous people doing cosplay?

Manda Cowled: I've met some great friends, but no famous cosplayers, at least not in a sense where I know them at all.

9: What advice can you give to someone who wants to get into cosplay?

Manda Cowled: Do what you can, and do a character you love. Doesn't matter if you look like them or they are crazy popular or no one knows them, you cosplay for yourself. I hate when people say Harley is over cosplayed, well duh, people love her, same with Batman. Let people cosplay the characters they love.

10: Do you make all the costumes yourself? If so how long does it normally take you to make one costume?

Manda Cowled: Ashe Rogue made many (all) of my first costumes, I've started working on more and trying to learn how to make them. Many, like Velma and Black Cat, are just put together with peices I find on eBay and Value Village, others like Raven are some sewing, and my favs are Harley and M'gann for the fun face paint.

11: What is your favorite thing about doing cosplay?

Manda Cowled: Having fun, playing pretend, even for just a day, seeing what you look like as different characters.

12: Which character in any comic book or tv show would you date and why?

Manda Cowled: I have a huge crush on Ollie from Smallville, I actually wish I was Chloe! Hahahaha.

13: Do you have a favorite character you've cosplayed as? If so who and why?

Manda Cowled: Yes and No. Picking favourites is hard, cause they are all mine... but I recently really enjoy the ease of Videl and Velma, had a blast as Chewy and my long time love is Harley. 

Can't wait to show you guys some new costumes that will hopefully become favourites as well.

14: What are some of the characters you've cosplayed as?

Manda Cowled: Harley Quinn (multiple versions), Power Girl. Black Cat, Velma, Videl, Chewbacca, Captain Hammer, Eevee, Charmander, Rainbow Dash, M'gann, Raven.... not sure if I am missing some, I have 5 new ones I am working on right now :P

15: Where can people find you on the internet?

Manda Cowled: Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MandaCowled/ Twitter: https://twitter.com/MandaCowled Instagram: http://instagram.com/mandacowled Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/mandacowled Print Shop: http://mandacowled.storenvy.com or my group The Geekettes: https://www.facebook.com/TheGeekettes https://www.youtube.com/1UPTheGeekettes http://www.thegeekettes.com Cheers!

Manda Cowled

No comments:

Post a Comment