Darkness Saves Me Banner

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Interview #20: With Collectors

So last month I did an interview with the webcomic collectors well the guy who writes them. Anyways make sure to check out all their links.

1: What got you into comics?

Collectors: As a little kid, Spider-Man was my gateway drug. Ever since I remember earning an allowance, my nose was buried in comic books. That led to collecting, which slowly took over part of my life!

2: What made you decide to start up a webcomic series?

Collectors: I had the idea for a while and originally conceived it as a TV sit-com. I first wrote a pilot episode and then half a film script based on the idea, but that wasn’t enough for me because I wanted to see this vision I had moving forward. That’s where the comic strip idea came from, but I sat on it for some time because I’m not really an artist and the thought of trying to find someone to draw my gags seemed daunting. The thing that lit a fire under me to do it all myself was going to comic conventions and envying the professionals interacting with fans. Like all would-be creators, I thought about how awesome it would feel to be on the other side of that table sharing my work with people. That was enough to get me to try my hand at illustrating the strip and it turned out that I wasn’t too bad and I’ve been improving over time.

 

Since then,

3: How long has Collectors been around?

Collectors: I’ve been publishing the strip online at www.collectorscomic.com every Sunday for a over two years. Last year I self-published Collectors King-Size Annual #1 thanks to a successful Kickstarter campaign. The annual is a 48 page comic that collects all the strips from 2012 along with new material not available on the website. I’m currently working on 80 Page Giant Collectors #2, which will be available soon.

4: Do you guys go to a lot of conventions? If so which is your favorite and why?

Collectors: So far I’ve only done two conventions to promote my work, WonderCon and Long Beach Comic Con. Both shows were very rewarding and I’ll be doing more in the near future. My wife and I attend several cons in the California area and it’s hard to pick a favorite. I love them all.

5: What is the best part about making this webcomic series?

Collectors: Making people laugh and being told how much they enjoy my comic strip is a great part of what I do. Another perk is getting free professional badges to conventions. I won’t lie, that part is pretty sweet.

6: Would you do this for the rest of your life?

Collectors: Without a doubt. No question.

7: How do you guys normally come up with the ideas for each strip?

Collectors: My ideas for strips usually come from everyday life. Being married, hanging out at the comic shop, on the job, etc. The material and humor is all there if you look and listen.

8: What is your favorite strip or strips that you've made and why are they your favorite?

Collectors: My favorite strip is the one I did for an interview I did on Stan Lee’s website. I was asked if I would do one with a Stan Lee cameo, so Stan is in the strip and my wife and I encounter him at a convention with some disasterous results.

9: Do you consider yourself famous if not would you love to be famous someday?

Collectors: I’m far from famous, but I’ve been recognized at a convention a couple of times. It’s more important to me to be able to sustain a career doing a creative endeavor like this so that it would allow me to live without needing a day job. If a certain level of fame comes with that, I won’t say no to it.

10: What advice can you give to anyone who wants to start up their own webcomic?

Collectors: Find your voice. Don’t just emulate what other people are doing or what you think sells. Find what’s unique about you and put it in your work.

11: Do you have a favorite comic series if so which one and why?

Collectors: I’ve been a Spider-Man fan since a child. I’ve followed and collected the character as long as I can remember and I own every issue of Amazing Spider-Man.

12: If you could be in any comic book series which would you be in and why?

Collectors: It would be fun to be in an issue of The Walking Dead and get ripped apart and eaten by a hoard of zombies.

13: Have you met any famous people doing this webcomic?

Collectors: Stan Lee. ‘Nuff said, true believers!!!

14: Where can people find you on the internet?

Collectors: You can find the comic strip at www.collectorscomic.com. I publish a new strip every Sunday morning and you can also shop for various Collectors merchandise there. You’ll also find Collectors on Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr.

No comments:

Post a Comment