Darkness Saves Me Banner

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Interview #24 With Phillip Sevy

So a year ago I interviewed Phillip Sevy. Hope you guys enjoy and check out his work he's pretty good :).

1: What got you into art? Did you just know it was something you always wanted to do or did someone encourage you to?

Phillip Sevy: My earliest memory involves Iron Man and Magneto Secret Wars action figures. Pretty much as long as my brain's been working, it's been involved with comic characters. The first thing I remember drawing was two different illustrated stories when I was around four years old - and one was the Fantastic Four. I just wanted to draw pictures and tell stories for as long as I can remember. It was something innate in me. I have artists in my family, but none of them really pushed me in any direction. I decided to do this on my own.

2: How long have you been doing artwork for comics?

Phillip Sevy: When I was nine, I decided I wanted to be a comic book artist when I bought a copy of Jim Lee and Christ Claremont's X-Men #1. It blew my mind away. That day forward, I was going to do this. It's been a long and winding road, but I'm finally here and drawing comics.

3: Would you do this for the rest of your life?

Phillip Sevy: I'd be more than happy to tell stories for the rest of my life - whether that's always drawing, or always comics, who knows? As long as I can tell a story that makes me happy, I'll do it. I love comics, TV, film, novels, etc. Maybe I'll try my hand at each at some point. Comics first and foremost right now, though.

4: What is your favorite thing about being an artist?

Phillip Sevy: My favorite thing about being an artist has to also be the hardest thing - it's up to me. If it works and is great - it was because I put my nose to the grindstone and worked myself to death to get it right. On the flipside, if the image/comic/story totally fails, that's on me too. The responsibility of owning one's piece of the puzzle is both a challenge and reward in and of itself.

5: Do you consider yourself to be famous? If not would you like to be famous someday?

Phillip Sevy: Ha! In no way whatsoever. It's been really fun and rewarding to slowly build a following over a few years of exhibiting at conventions and across all the social media outlets I utilize, but I'm in no way famous. If anyone knows of me or my work before I meet them, I'm often shocked. Maybe someday, but right now I'm more focused on making great comics than becoming famous.

6: Do you have a big fanbase?

Phillip Sevy: I have a great fanbase that is growing and expanding everyday. I don't really create art or fan art to chase trends or fads (I should - it would probably help build a faster base - ha!), so the people that find and like my art usually do out of a genuine love/respect for the work. That being said, I'm deciding to now only draw My Little Dr Who Ponies. We'll see how that treats me...

7: Now I've been reading the first hero and I have to say that I like your artwork. How long are they gonna keep you on that book?

Phillip Sevy: I'm glad you've been enjoying it! The F1rst Hero is planned as a series of miniseries. Anthony is hard at work on Volume 2 with another artist named Danny Zabbel. Anthony really wanted me to return to the series, but I was just too busy with a few other upcoming projects. I've seen the work on Vol 2, and it looks great. We'll see what the future brings!

8: What other comics or other artwork have you done for people?

Phillip Sevy: I drew a Magdalena story for Top Cow/Image written by Ryan Cady that should be out shortly. It was part of the 2013 Top Cow Talent Hunt, which I placed as one of the runner-ups. It was a cool story and I had a blast working with Ryan. Rumor has it, we may have something more up our sleeve for the future.

9: Do you have a favorite character or picture you've drawn? If so what and why?

Phillip Sevy: As far as character(s) go, I worship at the feet of Spider-Man and Batman. They're two sides of the tragedy coin - and I love the differences in style, personality, and stories they create.

10: Do you do anything else besides art?

Phillip Sevy: Besides comic art, I do some commercial illustration on the side. I've done work for corporate clients for ad campaigns, storyboarded animatics, done video-game art - a variety of things. I also teach art at an Entertainment Arts college in Utah, primarily in their Sequential Art department. It's a blast and I love to teach and help new and upcoming artists.

11: Any big projects coming up in the future that you can announce?

Phillip Sevy: Ha! I have a BIG project I've been working on for close to a year and a half, solid. I'm not quite ready to announce it, but it's giant (both in size and scope). It's nearly completed. It's really the purest expression of my love for the genre and the most personal of any project I've done. When time is closer to its release, I'll come back and we can talk some more about it. It's been an intense labor of love for all involved, but it's going to be fantastic.

12: If you could draw any character or anything else what would you draw and why?

Phillip Sevy: Ooh man... that's like asking who my favorite child is. Tough one. I would love to do something Batman or Spiderman - but I don't think I'll feel any accomplishment professionally until I can do an X-Men story (writing and drawing it). X-Men have been my first comics love since forever and I couldn't not do them at some point in my career and feel satisfied. Some day!

13: Where can people find you on the internet?

Phillip Sevy: The best place for people to find me online is my facebook page - facebook.com/phillipsevycomicart. I update it the most. I also have a devianart art that has a lot of completed (and older) work. Thecreatorhd.deviantart.com. You can also follow me on twitter @phillipsevy or on Instagram @phillipsevycomicart. That should be the best ways to stalk me.

No comments:

Post a Comment