Darkness Saves Me Banner

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Interview #15: With Kosmic Kasey

So a few months ago I did an interview with Kosmic Kasey. In this interview I added a few questions that I now feel probably weren't necessary but they make the interview more interesting and fun. You'll just have to read and see what I mean :).

1: What's your name?

Kosmic Kasey: Kasey Pierce (according to the government)

2: What got you into interviewing comic writers?

Kosmic Kasey: I kinda just fell into it, for the most part. However, I've found it to be very rewarding on a personal level. These Indy comic writers/artists devote so much time and energy to a less-than-lucrative industry whilst living paycheck to paycheck just like the rest of us. That's not to say that it'll always be that way for them.That's one of the things I love about what I do! I could be channeling a voice for the next Moore or Lee! How cool is that?!

3: How long have you been doing this?

Kosmic Kasey: The writing I've always had a passion for but put it on the back burner (I listened to naysayers a lot.) Interviewing? Since Nov, 2013.

4: Do you have anything you'd like to do in future?

Kosmic Kasey: Right now I'm looking forward to working on a project for Rocket Ink Studios (too soon to announce). I'm also excited to see where my sci-fi series, "The Prophecy Effect" takes me. I post one to two chapters a month on my site,kosmickasey.com. It's about two sisters who obtain superhuman powers via a man-made virus and how they tie into an ancient alien prophecy to save mankind from a mass genocide. Other than that, I'm looking forward to my future with almostnerdy.com as their humor and con-coverage girl.

5: What is your favorite thing about doing what you do?

Kosmic Kasey: Well a big part of it was mentioned in my answer for the second question. The other would be traveling and making friends in the con-circuit.

6: Do you consider yourself famous? If not would you love to be famous and why?

Kosmic Kasey: HAHA! No. Would I love to be famous? Hmm.. Only if it were for the right reasons. I would like to be famous because of my work but beloved for the person I am. Make sense?

7: Have you met any friends doing what you do?

Kosmic Kasey: Podcasters and such but not doing EXACTLY the same thing.

8: Out of all the interviews you've done which is your favorite?

Kosmic Kasey: To be honest, I haven't done THAT many. However, they're all my favorite. I know..cop-out answer. :p

9: What is your favorite story in nightmare world and why?

Kosmic Kasey: I like how Dirk just weaseled his way into this interview. ..jerk.

KIDDING!

I know you came to know me through the Big Dog Ink interview. :P

I can't pick just one. How 'bout we make it a Top 3?

* 'Knee Deep in the Dead': Because the ending provoked me to "YES!" out loud at work.

* 'Sleep Now in the Fire': That priest was her last resort in her a desperate cry for help and then..yeah. I don't want to give it away but..damn. It's intense.)

and

* 'Extraordinary Machine': It has that sci-fi/Twilight Zone-esque flair that I really dig.

Oddly enough, my favorite character is not featured in any of these. However, I see myself in Thelma Lushkin: Sweet and unsuspecting on the surface but badass with an empire frame of mind underneath.

10: Is this something that you'd do for the rest of your life?

Kosmic Kasey: I wouldn't mind it but I'd like to eventually further my own writing career.

11: Who are some people you'd like to interview in the future?

Kosmic Kasey: I'll be interviewing Rocket Ink Studios', Tony Miello come the beginning of April. Other than him, Dan Dougherty of 'Beardo'. I actually met him after the second day of Indiana-Con and didn't realize he was 'that' guy.

12: Is there something creative you'd like to do in the future? If so why?

Kosmic Kasey: I'd really love to do a collaboration on a project or be a part of something bigger. Two or more like-minded writers could make for a masterpiece.

13: How'd you come across Dirk Manning?

Kosmic Kasey: There he is again! Ugh. OK..I may as well tell you..

In efforts to kick-start the apocalypse, I was trying to summon the demon god, Balam. Suddenly, a man in a black suit was standing in the middle of my basement pentagram.

When I asked him if his 40 legions were ready to lock 'n' load, he told me Balam was out of the office until the following Friday. You see, he was working as a secretary through the Abaddon Alliance Temp Agency. Then he blabbed on and on about the writing he does on the side.

After listening to three hours of his sales pitch (and after he drank all my ginger ale and grenadine) I finally purchased all three volumes of Nightmare World just to get him to leave!

Ok, ok..

How we ACTUALLY crossed paths is through a mutual friend. I was with theallthingsgeeks.com (podcast/website) and I was looking to flex my interview chops.Then my friend Tony said, "Dirk Manning is going to be at The Vault of Midnight in Ann Arbortomorrow. You should interview him." I agreed even though I had no idea who this cat was. I borrowed the Nightmare World books and skimmed through them at work (mind you it was only two hours before the interview and it was a 40 min drive.) The little that I was able to read actually did spark my interest. The apocalyptic Tribulation setting was right up my alley.

When I went into the interview, I was nervous and had no prepared questions. I figured the audience and I would learn together. I didn't know what to expect but it turned out that Dirk was very easy to converse with. In the end we got a 20 minute nice flowing interview that never missed a beat. Apparently I had chosen the right wild card question to throw in when I asked about his take on conspiracy theories. Turns out he's a conspiracy buff too. Who knew?

From then on we became friends and colleagues.

14: Which guy would you date in the marvel universe?

Kosmic Kasey: Well you chose the right universe! I'm not much of a DC gal. I'm gonna go with Wolverine.

Mmm..rugged freaks.

15: Where can people find you on the internet?

Kosmic Kasey: kosmickasey.com facebook.com/kosmickasey twitter: @kosmickasey

No comments:

Post a Comment