Darkness Saves Me Banner

Monday, March 16, 2015

Interview #23 With Paeregrine.Cast

So a few days ago I interviewed the creator of Paeregrine.Cast which was pretty awesome. Can't wait to get my hands on the book :).

1: What got you into comics.

Paeregrine.Cast: -I've been into comics as an art form and a method of storytelling since I could read. But what I really attribute as having gotten me into comics was the "webcomic bubble" that occured when I was in High-School. Penny Arcade, Mac Hall, Megatokyo, Apple Geeks, and Ctr+Alt+Del were all getting off the ground and I got very wrapped up in them. Both the narrative stories and anecdotal comics intrigued me and I felt then that I wanted to do that too.

2: What made you decide to start a Web comic and how long has it been around?

Paeregrine.Cast: - I tried my hand at starting a comic back in High-School and various life things and a lack of work ethic kept it from ever really going anywhere. But I've known for a really long time that I wanted to make a webcomic. Then in April of 2014 I was at PAX East and I went to the Penny Arcade Make-a-Strip panel and for whatever reason it all just clicked. I started the Paeregrine.Cast when I got home from Boston and the first strip went out that Monday (April 14th.) So the comic has been around (depending on when this answer goes online) for about/almost a year.

3: What is your favorite thing about making a webcomic?

Paeregrine.Cast: - Sharing my sense of humor with others makes me really happy. A good example of this (as being my favorite thing) came about when I did my Release Signing for the book. A total stranger came in, talked to me at the table for about 10 minutes, bought a copy and then took a few steps over to the side and started reading it. Being able to observe this person who didn't know me at all, as they flipped pages and laughed at the strips I'd created just filled me with the coolest feeling. I just like that I made him laugh and smile. That's my favorite thing about making a comic I guess.

4: What is your favorite strip that you've done in your webcomic and why?

Paeregrine.Cast: - Wow. This is a tough one. I'm gonna pick one, but I wanna say that it's in my top 5 favorite strips, and the ranking of those changes pretty frequently. - Comic #115 "Sorry, Reflex" is the one I'm goin' with for now. I've always been a huge fan of Batman The Animated Series, and I feel like there were a lot of blind back-fists in that show. That reference combined with the art of the second panel just tickles me. I still laugh when I see that comic, and I'm the one who made it.

5: Would you do this for the rest of your life?

Paeregrine.Cast: - Absolutely. In a heartbeat. I'm hoping to only get bigger and better with the Paeregrine.Cast and whatever comes next as far as comics and webcomics go. That's the dream! I haven't really figured out how to properly pay my bills by being a webcomic artist yet, but I'm confident I'll think of something eventually. I do know that I want to grow and succeed without ever having to sell out my convictions and/or morals.

6: What is the best thing a fan has ever said to you?

Paeregrine.Cast: - I don't know if I really feel comfortable saying I have any 'fans' but there was one really nice man who came to my first signing and told me he's read every one of my strips. That made me feel really happy.

7: Is there anything you haven't done with your web comic that you'd like to do with it in the future?

Paeregrine.Cast: - Tell a story. I want to tell a real story with a beginning and a middle and an end. Emotional elements, character development, the works. I'm not sure if the Paeregrine.Cast will ever be that though. I like it as it is. But maybe a spin-off comic? Or something like that.

8: How often does it take you to come up with an idea for a new strip?

Paeregrine.Cast: - I try to let them come to me organically, and save them up as they do. That being said on more than one occasion I've had to sit down and find an idea and that can take me anywhere from 1-5 hours. I really don't like doing that either, as it makes the finished product feel more forced (to me, anyway.)

9: Is there any advice you can give to someone who is planning on starting up their own webcomic?

Paeregrine.Cast: - Just do it. Just start doing it right now. Go draw a comic. It may be completely terrible, but it means you've started. I love Penny Arcade, but if you go look at their first comics compared to where they are now they have grown SOOO much. So just start doing it, and the more you do it the better it will get.

10: If you could date any comic book character who would you date and why?

Paeregrine.Cast: - The character Ondine from my webcomic is based on the woman I am madly in love with and happily dating, however I feel like giving that as my answer is lame and not really in the spirit of the question so I'm going to say...  She-Hulk. She's brilliant, independent, strong and has a heroic nature. All good traits in a partner. Plus: she can lift cars and is nigh-invincible.

11: What sites can people find you on?

Paeregrine.Cast: -  Well the comic itself is at www.Paeregrine.com and everything should be findable through there. But I try to stay pretty active with anyone who'll talk to me on social media: I am on Instagram as @paeregrine.cast - Twitter as @Paeregrine_Cast - Facebook is the Paeregrine.cast - Tumblr is paeregrinecast.tumblr.com and I sometimes stream on Twitch.tv as Paeregrine (but that's not as common as it used to be.)

No comments:

Post a Comment